Sunday 25 March 2018

A home away from home

A tribute to all the Belgaumites who have moved to Bangalore for work purpose, to all the migrants moved from your native place to any other place in the World.


Scene 1: The Year of Graduation

Hey, where did you get placed? which company?
The most likely answers were: TCS, Infosys, CTS, KPIT, Quest, and Persistent
(Mass recruitment at TCS, Infy, and CTS)

Wow ya! me too TCS Bangalore, yay!!
Hey, that's great we shall stay together in a PG or share a flat.
Sure!

Booked VRL/SRS bus (by default)

Parents: you took all the things na, toothpaste, phone charger, how much money you have in hand? take this XY amount, you will need during an emergency.
Okay, all the items checked. Take parents blessings, Bye Mom & Dad. Take Care.

Take care beta, have food on time, be careful when you go out, return home before it turns dark, call us for anything you need, all the best, do well!

We now have sealed our fate, the moment we boarded the bus, for things won't be the same when we return back.

The chatter of the girls continues on the bus.
Hey, will go to Phoenix Mall (largest mall in Bangalore) and also I want to see Lal Bagh (botanical garden) and don't tell anyone but let's also go to Toit (Pub) Wow, will have so much fun. 
Sure! maybe someday we can try the food at Adigas or MTR (famous food joints)

That excitement of staying with friends, new place, new habits, new challenges, much to explore and learn, that feeling on the last day of every month when your phone beeps with "credited XX,XXX Rs." It's time for party and shopping!

"This is the time to remember because it will not last forever; these are the days to hold on to because we won't although we want to."
                                      - Billy Joel 


Scene 2: Cosmopolitan city, Woohoo Bangalore!!!

Welcome to Namma Bengaluru!!!
The Silicon Valley of India, where distance is measured in units of time!

Your office time maybe 9 am - 5 pm but you leave home at 7 am and reach by 9 pm.

A city of multicultural comfort, languages, genre etc.,

A city buzzing with events, social activities, TED talks, marathon, competitions, workshops, educational seminars, disco parties, voluntary programs, stand-up comedy acts etc.,

Most social and hospitable people, ethnically diverse city of India, the Pub city of India, the city for the start-up business, the center for health-care, strong art and culture scene, a city that hosts International and Indian band & artists, a city with the crowded traffic.

Where the 1st profession is an IT Engineer and the 2nd is a Real Estate business, every corner space is either filthy or building construction in progress... that's the present Bangalore to you!

A city that wraps everyone with the finest weather!

A city that keeps everyone busy with office work or to grow personally

A foodie's paradise, finest restaurants with varieties of food, whether it's a roadside momos, Idli-Vada or "Filter kaafi" a lively city, to live and let live!

This place is a home for many migrants around the country and the World.


Scene 3: Corporate Life

HR: What are your strengths and weakness?
Me: Bla Bla Bla...

HR: Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?
Me: (In Mind) - where will the company's growth be in the next 5 years? Will I be converted to a Permanent Employee? You are not sure of extending my contract after 1.5 years and you're asking me where will I be in the next 5 years?? I will be at the exit interview. No, No. I can't say this. I will be fired before I get hired.
Me: I will be the Team Lead/Manager.
HR: ok give me examples of how will you handle a team during project crisis
Me: Bla Bla Bla...

HR: First 6 months you will be in a probation period, have to sign a contract bond of 1.5 years, if you break it in between, you need to pay 70,000Rs. Can you join tomorrow?
Me: what are the benefits/perks? Will I have work from home option? any onsite opportunities? incentive compensations? is the salary negotiable?

On the first day of work when you're introduced to your teammates and the most likely question from them is "you are from which place?"
There's a reason why the first thing we often ask someone when we meet them, right after we learn their name is "where's home for you?" because we recognize something important about them.

While only a few of the teammates will be localities the rest will be either Tamilians, Biharis or Malayalis.
You get to learn a language or two, their culture, the yummy variety of food during Potluck in office.

The first few months you undergo training, and then time flies by so soon that we give certification exams, well acquainted with office, people, colleagues, the usual routine, come home cook/order food eat and sleep.

The fun during team outings, weekend night out parties, those initial days at the office, "the moment I saw you", Ahh he is always late and doesn't work at all but he is the one who gets good appraisals, office politics, when you start sharing a thing or two with colleagues, that bonding with colleagues turns into a relationship, BFF etc.,

While some of us start actively looking for better job opportunities, others are satisfied with their yearly pay hike, those uncertain layoffs, farewell parties, few of us emotionally attached and been best of friends in no time, some of us get an onsite opportunity, that social status tag on Facebook and Instagram, when they return back with goodies and chocolates.

In between all these, do I miss my home?

"Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make latitudes and longitudes."
         -Henry David Thoreau


Scene 4: Homesickness

"My father says you remember the smell of your country no matter where you are but only recognize it when you're far away"
                     - Aglaja Veteranyi

Often we realize the importance of things, people, and place when we are far away from it. Homesickness is one of them.

Things we missed the most are Parents, the yummy food that Mom prepares which cannot be replaced by anyone, not even the finest restaurants in the world, the emotional touch and comfort, the care and lessons that Dad taught, the good old buddies, the cool and the calm city!

Staying away from home, made me miss so many functions, parties, and weddings of near and dear ones.
The birthdays we missed, the news that " you became an aunt - you cousin delivered a baby boy", the last chance to say goodbye to those who left us forever. On the other hand, life is speeding up and I am learning to capture these tiny little moments with family on Skype calls.

The smallest trivia, a food, a smell, can swamp you with homesickness.

Nostalgia. Time and Distance.


Scene 5: I am going home for few days (off from work)

The place I possess, my iconic status, the place I belong. 


Ahh... that phantasmagorical feeling of going home...

Even before parents call to check where have you reached, I must have woken up at least a 3 - 4 times to check where have I reached
Hmmm, I don't know where this place is, Sleep.

After sometime
Oh, I reached Hubli, ok sleep, after half hour, oh Dharwad already.

Finally nearing the "HireBagewadi" toll pass. And the sleep is gone at this place, wide awake!

Bus Driver: haa... Gandhinagar, Gandhinagar (one of the area name in Belgaum)

Dad: where did you reach? Ok, I will come to pick you at XY stop.

Once I reach home, Mom to Me: hey gal, you have become so thin, you're not having food on time na, and it starts, the pampering and preparing your favorite dishes, to getting the things that you need/want.

Me to Mom: I am here only for 4 days, I am not going anywhere, nor to meet anyone. That peaceful feeling when you are at home, a rest to the mind, body, and soul.

One fine day, when thoughts pondered over me,

How every little thing has changed, My life is changing at a non-stop pace,
I now have 2 sim cards, 2 bank accounts
I have grown up to be an independent girl, I can manage things on my own,
Gone are the days, when I played gully cricket, Hide n Seek, Chappi, Lagori etc.,

When someone asks's me "how's life in Bangalore" and I lack the right words to convey all that I am experiencing
At some time I realized that people and things just pass by, that's when I have to strike a right balance between bonding and letting go - a battle between Nostalgia and pragmatism.
When your life's journey is filled with uncertainty, you grow up in unexpected ways,
What I have seen & felt, heard and smelled is made me a person Who I am today
We learn, broaden horizons, we evolve, we feel homesick, and then it strikes - Life won't wait for you. You now feel capable of everything!
Now I wonder what it means to give up comfort, start everything from scratch, and wonder at the world

Whenever we travel, we end up stockpiling new clothes, new stationery items, books, mugs etc., and when we are arranging these things, we find a new home in a new city! A place for all the memories, pictures, long-distance calls with family and friends. Home is where the heart is!


Bangalore will always be my 2nd home, a city which gave and taught me so much in life, this place certainly has a memory to be cherished forever. A Home away from home.


Scene 6: The usual mood when you reach Bangalore


Bus Driver: haa... Jalahalli Cross, Jalahalli Cross (One of the area name in northern Bangalore)
who wants to get down at Jalahalli Cross

And his voice is enough to wake you up from a sleep coma. My friend shooks me by the elbow, wake up... we have to get down at the next stop

Me: Uff man, office again (so many thoughts running - meetings, office politics, deadlines, targets, etc.,) 
Why Lord Why?

Bus Cleaner: get down soon, the traffic light will turn red
Me: Hmmm... (thinking if you can take me back home in your tonight's return journey)

While the Ola/Uber cabs are unavailable at the moment, I bargain with the Auto Rickshawallas

Me: Sir, Whitefield (one of the area name in Bangalore)
He: Come, sit, starts the Auto
Me: How much? What's the fare?
He: Banni Amma (Come Madam) 350 Rs
Me: What? No way, Max. 200 Rs I will pay. If you want you come, (As though I am not in a hurry to go to the office) Sir, if I add 150 Rs. to it, I will reach my native... 

The saga continues...



7 comments:

  1. Nice one.. Well summarized.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice.....well, we always need exit code written from our closed loop life to reach our sweet home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So relatable
    Neat writing๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ
    Nice๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write very practical and can be easily relatable, you put everyone's feelings into a open write-up. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this just made me visualise u doing all these things. Just a small feed back, next time try to get that streamline flow in even a better way but ya I did enjoy reading this
    Nostalgic <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. And now the scene 7 is that we are sicksnsic tired of Bengaluru and want to go back home. Very well summarized. Reminded me of my past. Keep it up... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nostalgic!!!! well written

    ReplyDelete